Comments for Gold Plumb and Gold Plate

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Gold Plumb
by: Anonymous

Hi Jilla thank you for writing in with the following hallmark question:

"Hi, I recently purchased a small jewelry lot at an estate sale and one of the pieces is a very beautiful rose gold diamond and emerald claddagh bangle bracelet. I don't know if it's solid gold or plated or ?

The stamp reads "18CT GP IRISH"

And I thought I read somewhere awhile back that some jewelry makers would stamp a piece with (Karat level) "GP" to represent a piece that is Gold Plumb and that "GEP" "EP" "GF" etc. were used to mark gold plate/electropate, gold fill types of jewelry. Thank you"

Jilla you are absolutely correct. The "P" stands for PLUMB, guaranteed to be the designated gold karat which, in this case, is 18 karat.

In the United States, a piece designated as a certain karat gold could legally vary one half of a karat. so, as you would imagine, he might round 17-1/2k up to 18k.

When a piece is marked GP it means the metal is guaranteed by the manufacturer to be no less than 18k. This mark is often mistaken for gold plate.

best wishes,
Yvonne Hammouda-Eyre
Stay up to date with all the latest Antique jewelry news,
join the Antique Jewelry Investor community here....

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Gold Plumb and Gold Plate.

Return to Hallmark Help .